So Nina is climbing out of a relatively aggressive dose of chemo. On Thursday she felt like she was at rock bottom, and had a white blood cell count of almost zero. She was barely able to move and just talking was extremely tiring. It was kind of scary. But Friday she felt a little better although still extremely fatigued. Saturday she felt even better, and she just informed me today that she is feeling even better. So the trend seems to be going in the right direction!
She is not really able to talk on her phone for more than a few seconds, so unless it's important, I would avoid calling. Visits are definitely out at this time. Not just because of her fatigue, but also because she is neutropenic and she is at high risk of bacterial infections. Ann or Margaret (her physician sisters) can correct me if I've got the terminology incorrect.
Her spirits are still high throughout all of this and her nurses are excellent.
Today I am bringing in some softer TP, a few sections of the NY Times and also a terminal strip for her IV pump trolley. She's got 3 IV pumps and a morphine on-demand pump (I don't know the technical term) on one pole on wheels. When she has to go to the bathroom (like in the middle of the night), she has to unplug all four of these devices, hang them up on the pumps so she doesn't trip over them, then plug them all back in when she's done. It's barbaric. I'm going to strap a terminal strip on the pole, plug all 4 devices into it, and then she'll just have the one cord to deal with. They might not like it and tell me to get rid of it, but it's worth a shot.
Sam
Thanks for posting all of this, Sam! Nina - great to hear you're feeling better from Thursday! We love you and are praying for you. Hope Sam's terminal strip fixes the problem with the pumps. Cheers!
ReplyDeleteNina-
ReplyDeleteWe are so happy to have an update- thank you, Sam. It is comforting to know you, Sam are an advocate and noticing things like the pump.
Nina- I am so sorry for this life "test." You will do it and we are all behind you rooting for you.
Love to you.
Nina, I had no idea you were on such an uncomfortable journey, no idea that it was this serious. Thanks for putting this together, Sam. I was with my mother when she went thru an ICU adventure that was similar to yours, Nina, in Nov, and you are right, Sam, it's hard to watch someone you love go thru those procedures. BUT: sounds like it was all for the best and that you are climbing back up. Since you have more vitality and life force than most of us, i have faith in the success of your essential health.
ReplyDeletehugs from one of the many who love you,
Ellen
Oh goodie, I'm so glad you're coming back to the neighborhood! I will wave through the window as I'm still getting over a cold. We're around this weekend if you or Sam need anything at all! Love from all the Cohens
ReplyDelete