Welcome to Nina's Blog. Sign-up is not required to comment!

Monday, March 12, 2012

End of the line

We received some dreaded news today. Her doctor called this morning and said the tumor has grown three times it's previous size over the weekend. Her LDH levels skyrocketed to over 10,000. There are no other options left.

I personally have been confident up until this morning that something would work. You know the saying "Failure is not an option"? That's how I felt. But the reality is that this was a tough one from the start and her odds were very poor. Nina is just such an incredible fighter I just never thought this day would come.

Many of her friends came by to see her today. I tried calling everyone local that I had a phone number for. If I missed you, it's nothing personal. You can still see her tomorrow (Tuesday). However, Nina asked to go home, and she will be sent home tomorrow probably later in the afternoon/evening. If you'd like to go, feel free to call my cell at 510-407-4442 and I'll let you know where she is at the moment.

She is resting comfortably and is in no pain. She still recognizes people and is still fairly sharp although she does sometimes say things that make no sense.

Her sister Ann is flying up Tuesday morning and expects to spend the entire week with her. Her son Tom is spending the night with her tonight at the hospital.

I will update things as they occur and tag them on to this post, so please manually check this page by going to www.ninadeckert.com instead of waiting for an e-mail notification (which has a 24 hour lag anyway).

17 comments:

  1. This is absolutely heartbreaking. I had prayed that it wouldn't come to this. Our whole family is devastated. Nina is one of the most high energy people I know in the industry,and we have loved her. Much love to you all and continued prayers for comfort and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There a number of very quiet and tearful people around here today. Please tell Nina that we love her. I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around this. Nina is such a special person. None of us live forever but Nina should have had many, many years yet to share her smile and energy with us. She will be missed and she'll never be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, I had no idea that things had deteriorated so badly until Paul told me he heard from you yesterday. I'm just heartbroken for you both, at a complete loss for words. We're so grateful that you brought Nina into our lives, and even though we only managed to see each other occasionally we feel close to you both and are so saddened--please tell her we love her. She's been so lucky to have you through this time. We're thinking of you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is not the update that I wanted to read. Nina, I hope you are not in pain. Please know that your energy and enthusiasm has touched all who you came in contact with.
    Sam and the rest of Nina's family and caregivers- thank you for all of the love and support you have given her throughout this process.
    I am sure that writing these blog entries has not been easy. Please know that they have been read and appreciated by lots of people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Nina, I've been trying to remember when we first met, and I keep coming back to an afternoon I spent with you and Rene at Amsterdam Art. It was late in the day and we were drinking tea and watching a slide show from a trip to Amsterdam he had recently taken, killing some time while I waited for the traffic on I-80 to get better. I'm pretty sure that was sometime in 1979. Wow, that's a long time ago! Thank you for being my friend for so many years... I'm honored!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn! Nina, I am so sorry. I do feel for you. You are in my thoughts.

    Howard Salsitz

    ReplyDelete
  7. dear Nina,
    I am so sad for you and your family, and am at
    a loss for words....
    I have been a customer of yours throughout the years, and have always appreciated you for being you, present and strong. You always listened and made great suggestions and were just there... A force of amazingness- thank you for being you-
    I am glad that you are surrounded by people who love and cherish you, and know that you are loved from afar. Love always k8

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sam and Nina: without a doubt two of the sweetest and most positive people I have ever known. Amazing how you both managed to remain so positive and strong throughout this ordeal. Mike and I love you both and wish you peace and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you love and peace as you prepare for the transition from this realm to the next great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sam, it occurred to me, it may be the end of the line, but I like to think of it more of a track switch where we can't follow until we're ready to make the rail gauge transition ourselves. Eventually, we'll all make that track switch and meet up at the roundhouse for a good time. Nina just gets a head start.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sam - Aqua and I are heartbroken at the news and we know there are no words to ease the lose of such a beautiful person. Nina was a beautiful shining star, always smiling, ever kind. She will be missed. Our thoughts, prayers, love, and support are here for you Sam and for Nina's family. Nina is at peace. RIP 3-14-2012.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tom and I are so so sorry that things have gone so very bad. May God be with you both on this last leg of this journey. Tom and Brenda Bates

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dearest Nina,
    I am writing to send you my love and to let you know you are in my thoughts and my prayers. I was always so happy when you'd visit us at University Art. When I took over the Marconi location as manager I was personally holding on by a thread. You came on numerous occasions and helped me more than you'll ever know. I felt crazy in those days and you had such calm advice as well as a wealth of knowledge and experience to pull from (I don't think there was ever a question I could ask that you didn't know the answer to) You touched me on a deeper level than most, at a time when I thought I was going off the deep end. I want you to know that I've always remembered that and I hold you in the highest regard. You have a special place in my heart~!! I wish I would have told you in person.

    I've always felt and known life to be a never ending, eternal dance, always changing with new music. Sometimes it's a long waltz or a symphony and other times it's one of those short songs they record on an album to fill a gap. We never know how long we'll dance for but one thing is certain...there's always a new song to dance to after the break...ALWAYS~!!! Thank you for letting me dance with you this time around, however brief. An energy as bright and vibrant and powerful as yours just gains momentum with each new dance. May the new music you dance to be more magnificent than any you've experienced.

    I know our paths will cross again... and until then I'll hold you in my heart with love and gratitude!!
    Love and Peace today and Always,
    Love,
    Greg Coates
    (now in case you're wondering "who the hell is Greg Coates" and need help remembering...I'm the salt and pepper haired guy who worked at University Art as a gift buyer on J st. for 3 years and then "managed" Marconi for 18 months when UA took it over...you know, the guy who always gave you a hug ;) Peaceful travels my Dear Nina!!! See you soon!!
    OXOX

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sam, and Tom, and all of you who have been with her through this, my heart goes out to you. I only recently learned of what was going on... Weren't we all just having sushi together?

    There are no words.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We love you, Nina. You have always been such a special person to so many of us.

    Sadly, I stopped by this morning and missed seeing you, having only knocked gentle, and rang once, not wanting to disturb you, Sam and the rest of your close family. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sam, I'm sending along the warmest of hugs to you from deep down. You have been a shining star for Nina and she for you. Know that we are there for you in any way you need. Nina's beautiful smile in these photos so illustrates all that I have always loved in her as our friendship grew over the years. I'm so, so sad to hear this news today. We will all miss her warmth and wry sense of humor with its twist of playfulness woven in. We love you both. Love Gev and Erik

    ReplyDelete
  17. My boss Gil just told me that Nina had passed away. I am shocked, not ever having heard she was ill, but also deeply saddened. I was in our golden acrylic section which she had meticulously organized and I could hear her voice inside my heard as fond memories of times past flooded back. I am at a loss for a means expressing how she will be missed. - Robert Syrett

    ReplyDelete