SAVE THE DATE
Nina's memorial date has been set for April 14th (Saturday) at the Brazilian Room in Tilden Park, Berkeley, California. The time is tentatively set for 11am-3pm. Click here for details.
Nina died peacefully today shortly after 1pm surrounded by people who love her.
It has been an intense 48 hours since I learned that Nina had chosen comfort care over further chemo for her lymphoma. I was able to get up here Tuesday morning and was relieved that Nina was able to speak to me but it was clear that things were rapidly changing. One of the hard parts was how difficult it was to understand what she was saying when she talked to us. Some of her comfort needs were easy for us to predict and meet and for that we were immensely grateful. We were also grateful for the loving care of her nurses both for Nina and for us. We are going to take care of each other because that is how we can best honor the love Nina gave us all. -Ann (Nina's sister)
We would love to see any stories you have about Nina in the comments.
We will let you know about other plans down the road.
I am so so saddened by the news. I worked with Nina from afar, at Golden Artist Colors, but the few times I met her we bonded easily. I felt in her a kindred spirit and will miss her greatly. My love and care to her family and friends. She touched so many lives, spread out in so many corners of this country. It is a sad day for all of us. With my deepest condolences....Sarah
ReplyDeleteDeeply sorry to hear of Nina's passing. She is such a wonderful person. What spirit and joy she had. She is loved!! My condolences to you Sam for being there for Nina. You being so strong for her. Please give my condolences and sympathies to her son and rest of her family. So sorry for your loss. She was such a great person and friend.
ReplyDelete- Charlotte
MacPherson's
Wow. So...sad. Lois just called me earlier today with "end-is-in-sight" news and now I find she'd already gone. Lots of love to folks (Sam, her family) I don't even know.
ReplyDeleteNina hired me in the mid 80's at Amsterdam Art. She was a GREAT manager/friend/ally there. She bought one of my first, real $ paintings (probably not that good!) when i know she didn't have a lot of $ herself.
While i haven't kept up with her, I can still trace dozens and dozens of friends directly back to the day I met her. So incredibly thankful to have known her. goodbye Nina. with love, Tony.
I just keep staring at the screen as it repeatedly goes to sleep waiting for this to sink in.
ReplyDeleteMonths back, when Nina uncharacteristically didn't reply to a couple of emails, I was concerned that I'd accidentally offended her somehow or that she was sick, so I called and found out she was in the hospital.
Always thinking of others, she apologized then told me what was going on. I told her she didn't need to apologize and we'd be rooting for her. I knew it was serious, but I fully expected her–with her energy and will–to be back at it within months and that we'd see her smiling face for years to come. Tragically, it was not meant to be.
I still can't believe she gone...
I was blessed to have known Nina for just over 30 years, and she was always a kind and friendly face to me. You have my deepest condolences on the passing of this dear lady... She will be missed by many, both near and far.
ReplyDeleteSteve Gallisdorfer
In the 90's as I was calling on Nina while she was a buyer at Amsterdam I mentioned I was looking for a sales rep in her area. She followed me out to my car and asked if I would consider her. So began a magical relationship as Nina joined my rep group and became part of my family. Nina was trully a gift to my business and to all the accounts she called on. Words cannot express my profound sadness and losing her.
ReplyDeleteKen and Diane Eastman
We are immensely sad at this news and ever grateful for all the years we had as across the street neighbors. We shared much kid time together, walks inthe neighborhood, holiday morning breakfasts, child and adult birthday parties, and countless impromptu gatherings in the middle of the street. Wish we were there now, will be touch upon our return.
ReplyDeleteMuch love,
Cindy & Dan
Every time my path crossed with Nina, she left me with encouragement, practical life knowledge and
ReplyDeleteanother Golden Acrylic tip ;) Nina's love for being out with the customer and a champion for " creating good art with the best products" is legendary!
I always looked forward to NAMTA shows and seeing Nina and Patty Brady together, the hugs, smiles and of course, the hair colors were Epic!
I will miss my friend.
Catherine Thoele
MacPherson's
We will miss her kindness, generosity, great sense of humor, tremendous creativity and quirky sense of style..complete with some often surprising changes of hair color !! There is now a hole in our extended Berkeley family. The world truly was a better place for having had Nina in it.
ReplyDeleteSam- I am going to try to call you after work today to see if I can drop off some of my best "Bowls of Hugs" bean soup..gluten-free, of course, in Nina's honor.
Much love,
Linda Nelson ( and Grace )
This is sad day for all that knew and loved Nina. She will be dearly missed and it is so hard to fathom that she has left our world. Rest in peace my friend.
ReplyDeleteDoug Mooney
Tom and I are so sorry. I am relieved to know that she entered her next journey peacefully. Our love goes out to you all.
ReplyDeleteTom and Brenda Bates
I worked with Nina for years at Amsterdam Art and gave her more than a few few headaches, but she was always so gracious. We got back in touch through Facebook last summer, and she even offered a place to stay when I visited the Bay Area again. I'm shocked to hear of her passing. My thoughts and best wishes are with her loved ones. She will be deeply missed.
ReplyDeleteMary Day Long
I am blessed to have known Nina as the "neighbor across the street" from my sister's family. Her spirit was bright and happy, and she always had time to chat for a few minutes. She will be missed by so many people. My love and big hugs to Sam, Tom and the rest of Nina's family. -Lucretia
ReplyDeleteI am blessed to have known Nina as the "neighbor across the street" from my sister's family. Her spirit was bright and happy, and she always had time to chat for a few minutes. She will be missed by so many people. My love and big hugs to Sam, Tom and the rest of Nina's family. -Lucretia
ReplyDeleteI am blessed to have known Nina as the "neighbor across the street" from my sister's family. I loved her bright and happy spirit, and she always had a few minutes to chat. She will be missed by so many. My love and big hugs to Sam, Tom and the rest of Nina's family. -Lucretia Ausse
ReplyDeleteNina's great attitude and positive outlook truly masked the pain and suffering that this disease has caused her. Talking to her or visiting her, one would have expected a full recovery. I wish I could have had one more conversation with her.
ReplyDeleteNina was a friend to me - both personally and business-wise. She gave me professional advice and pointed me in many right directions when I wasn't sure which way to go. She was also a boss when I worked for Golden, and a partner, when she worked for the Eastman Group/A&A Associates.
I would enjoy getting margaritas and T-Rex BBQ with her when I was in the area, and I always looked forward to seeing her big grin and open arms.
I miss Nina, and I look forward to seeing her again someday. Until then, when I'm in the East Bay, I'll have a margarita in her honor.
Sam - thank you for taking care of her, I know she loved you deeply. Tom - I never got to meet you, but your mom was so proud of you and bragged on you every time we talked. You were her treasure!
Julianne Miller
This is so heartbreaking and sad....
ReplyDeleteI always enjoyed our conversations when she would come to the store to check on our golden racks and make sure everything was up-to-date. She always had great suggestions and a spirited attitude about all of it, no matter the situation. I bought from her when she repped Black Ink papers and before that when she was with the Eastman group... I have vivid memories of working on my 3M orders with her- what patience!
...and She always had an interesting piece of jewelry on, which we would talk about....
I admired her strong and steady personality, and she had a serious side which I could relate to.... but most of all she always was happy to help, to listen and to be of service.... and I often needed a lot of help!
YOU are missed Nina, sending condolences to her family, to Sam and all of her friends who loved her so much.
Kate
ARCH
My heart weighs heavy as I try to wrap my arms around the fact that Nina is no longer with us in this world. But, as Julianne mentioned, we look forward to seeing her again, knowing that, as always, she will be there to greet us with open arms and smiles. I know that I've told Nina several times how much we have appreciated her friendship, but I'm sure she didn't realize just how much so. I echo Julianne's sentiments to Sam: many thanks for being her rock, and Tom: wow! was she ever so proud of you ALL of the time.
ReplyDeleteI'm not quite ready to say goodbye yet . . . so until we all meet each other and meet Nina again . . . may the blessing of having known Nina touch you when you are lost. Much love from all of the Eastman family. Diane
This is not how we wanted this day to go Nina. You are missed already and my heart cannot accept that you are not in this world with us. I feel so fortunate to have known you.
ReplyDeleteI am sending a warm hug to your family and a prayer for them to go forward with lighter hearts soon.
I am beyond sad to hear this news. I just cannot believe it. I wish I could tell Nina's family and friends in person how much she was loved and adored by her colleagues. She was always someone I made a point to find at industry events so I could say hi & see how she was. She was a fantastic rep for our company, Iwata-Medea, and she continued on as a friend when she moved to Golden. Always upbeat, smiling & happy to see you, Nina was a true joy to know. My heart goes out to Sam & her son and family.
ReplyDelete-Brooke Cedros
Iwata-Medea
I am so sorry to not see Nina anymore. She gave me my start as well as supporting and encouraging me as a Golden Working artist. I met her one fateful day at The Art Store in Oakland, she was stocking shelves and I glowed about Golden. She told me about the Working Artist program and I remember being so excited I tried to keep quiet and I shook.
ReplyDeleteWhen I had an exhibit in Oakland, Nina purchased one of my paintings.
I will miss her and I am reminded of her every time I go in an art store.
Judy
A great sorrow is in my life tonight, having learned that Nina is gone. Nina Deckert was kind, smart and generous and modest. The adjectives could go on and on. When I think of Nina, I think of the joy that she projected and how infectious this was. Although I am grateful that I told her many times how much I respected her and admired her, now it feels that I hardly told her enough. Her passing will create a huge void in the art materials industry that she so loved and so loved her. I feel privileged to have known and been touched by a person of such extraordinary grace.
ReplyDeleteMichael Kalman
My heart goes out to Nina's family. I knew her from Lenz Arts Store. She was such a classy lady. Always a giver and very helpful. It was a blessing and an honor to meet such an angel. She really helped so many people. I am sure that she is with God now showing off her sweet smile in heaven and painting something so beautiful as she was. God bless and please accept my condolences.
ReplyDeleteNina was a deep and wonderful friend
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axRrrkaMNlg
Jim Hair
How precious is this friendship lost... Life's not equitable, we know, and in the passing of our dear Nina, we suffer and reflect. Reflecting on the joy she gave us, her hearty laugh, her kindness, her willingness to listen and support us, to provide a mothering solace, makes the suffering a little easier. Nina was that rare person who thought first of others' needs before her own. Berkeley, and indeed a much larger community, is the less for her passing.
ReplyDeleteDon Ellis
Nina's death seems so unreal on so many levels. She was such a caregiver and totally selfless, so in a tragic situation like this you would expect HER to be the one comforting everyone.
ReplyDeleteShe was always there for people and wanted nothing back in return. When I first met Nina I was in awe of her unique positive attitude and had never met anyone like her. She truly lived by the old saying "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything." Many people intend to live life that way but very few actually do it.
I have wonderful, warm memories of my brother Sam and Nina's relationship. They were sweet, caring and supportive of each other unlike any couple I have ever known.
So hard to believe she is gone now. Rest in peace dear Nina...
My memory of sweet Nina is in her old station wagon up and down San Francisco streets. The up was a struggle, the down was terrifying. But she was there to help me locate a San Francisco store location. And I’ll miss Nina.
ReplyDeleteLarry Adlerstein
I'm beyond saddened by this news. Nina was one of the most extraordinary people I've ever known and I will miss her very much.
ReplyDeleteBrian Buell
Logan Graphic Products, Inc.
Apart from her artistic skills, which were many, Nina was also the very best person to hike with: she could identify every plant, flower and bird in the East Bay(and probably beyond). I learned more about the flora and fauna of Berkeley from her on one hike than I ever did from a guidebook. I would be remiss not to also mention the extraordinary Low Country shrimp boils that she and Sam hosted. Nina's generosity extended to those of us who saw her rarely.
ReplyDeleteNina was a true mensch: "a person of integrity and honor; someone to admire and emulate." May she rest in peace.
Karen
I loved Nina the instant that you introduced us to her Sam. I was so happy that you'd found someone so special; smart, creative, kind, funny, instantly familiar. My heart is so heavy for you and for everyone who loves her, but I am also so grateful that you found her and that she found you and that I was lucky enough to know her. You are the best Sam, I love you...Chris
ReplyDeleteHow lucky am I that my brother fell in love with Nina.
ReplyDeleteShe was the most uniquely selfless, kind, artistic, hearty, caring, brave and positive person.
And she loved him and took care of him to the utmost.
Barbara
I feel lucky to know Nina and will always remember all the wonderful things about her. My sister Nora and I grew up with Tom, and we got to benefit from some of Nina's famous crafting sessions, as Tom was not particularly keen on making jewelry out of shrinky dinks and other such girly projects. She was always so kind, generous, creative, and fun to be with. I will greatly miss her.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Hannah
I am so saddened to hear this news about Nina. I met Nina while working at Pearl Art & Craft in San Francisco. She was instantly my favorite rep, she was real and an artist. We became friends quickly and I always admired how generous she was. She will be deeply missed. Many best wishes and love to her family. Love, Sookie
ReplyDeleteNina was such a familiar face at Flax art & design, whether to share new products, check in on her Golden Paints or share a laugh with some of the staff that knew her for decades. Nina was a supreme professional and shared her passion with so many of our customers during her demos. She was an artistic and caring woman and will be deeply missed. Our thoughts are with her loved ones.
ReplyDeleteThe Flax Family
It still hasn't settled in that Nina is gone. I can no longer take for granted after 20 plus years that she'll pick up the phone when I have a question; that I'll see her at the Golden Booth or a Distributor Workshop, or that she'll just pop by with a set of labels...I can't take for granted that I'll see her when she gets better...that we'll have a drink and a chuckle about the crazy characters in our industry...I can't accept that the world has lost a genuinely wonderful and talented woman/artist/mother/friend. My heart goes out to her true love Sam, her son and her sisters; and to the rest of us who have lost her, long before it was time. I just can't say goodbye, Nina.
ReplyDeleteMarilyn Hajjar
Sam, thank you. Your writings have been beautiful as you’ve shared with us how things were going… they have been so tender, so full of love, so innocence, many times bringing me to tears feeling the warmth of the love you two had for each other as you shared with us the joy of spending time together.... even when many of her moments this last year have meant beinging only able to be in the same room together…. On lucky days, reading the paper together… noting how wonderful it felt, to enjoy a “normal” Sunday morning together…….. Please know, on all those days Sam, you brought her everything.... you brought her You.
ReplyDeleteAs someone once said… “A person’s life is marked with the year they were born, “a dash”, and the year they passed away…………. but one’s “Life”??? Is all in that “dash”………… Nina, you brought so much too so many during your Life. Thank you for sharing your love and your life with all of us who were lucky enough to have you in our lives. Though your dash through this life was way to short, you lived it with passion and love and care and you must know, we will carry your life within us now and forever more.
Lynn and Dave Sauter
I too am staring at the screen not comprehending this could have happened. I saw Nina last year when I first went back to the NAMTA show after several years. She was the picture of health and her usual spirited self, full of life and love and buoyant. I was so happy to see her after quite a few years. Nina was my friend and colleague at Amsterdam Art for 17 years. For a while we were very close, seeing each other to play scrabble trying not to talk shop. I heard of her illness not long ago and spoke with her briefly by phone as she was in the hospital. She told me she was battling her illness. I wished her well sincerely hoping she would win that battle so we could visit.
ReplyDeleteI have so many fond memories of our working together. She embodied the spirit and creativity that was the soul of the place. I will treasure several cartoons she did for me showing her tremendous sense of humor and unbelievable skills as an artist.
I will attend the memorial and am looking forward to seeing some of our mutual friends and former colleagues but am so sad it has to be under these circumstances. All the best to Tom and Sam and the rest of the family. This s a great loss to all of us and the world of art and art materials where she excelled and shared her passion. I loved Nina and will always treasure her memory.
We were following along with the posts on Nina's progress and always assumed she would pull out of it. It's hard to believe such a strong and dynamic person will no longer be around. Nina was helpful to me as a new manager at Pearl Art & Craft--always there to go the extra mile. Her support through the closure of the Pearl store and lay off was also above and beyond. She gave me her time and advice with long conversations at home on the phone to help me land back on my feet. She always said there is no such thing as a 'stray' in the retail art world. She proved that by being one of the pivotal figures in my transition to FLAX art & design. Nina was a giver and a great person, she will truly be missed.
ReplyDeleteFrom the entire staff at Arizona Art Supply in Phoenix, Arizona, we wish to extend our deepest condolences to Nina's family and loved ones. We met her only a few times over the years (at NAMTA, and she visted with us on a couple of Golden store visits), however, she was always kind, enthusiastic and incredibly knowledgeable. It is a testament to her character to see all of these wonderful comments and notes about her. All the best to her family and dear friends.
ReplyDelete---Arizona Art Supply
A few years ago, I attended a Golden retailer workshop at Judy Gittelsohn's studio in Palo Alto, where we made up our own acrylic sample boards. In addition to leaning the group, Nina was kindly making some boards for retailers who couldn't come but needed them.
ReplyDeleteNina had picked up some fruit for use a still life subjects and I picked out an apricot or peach or something. Nina would walk around periodically and check on everyone's progress. Not all art store managers are artists, particularly family of the owners. I was very happy when she exclaimed with surprise and delight when seeing my sample, "You can paint!"
I work too much to do artwork nearly as often as I'd like, but I painted a little floral watercolor for Nina that Julianne Miller delivered to the hospital. I didn't get to talk to NIna about it, but Julianne said that it made Nina happy.
I will miss my lunch buddy, sales and marketing, art dealer,NAMTA coach, and girlfriend gossiper.
ReplyDeleteNina was the essence of grace as she tirelessly delivered her flawless and generous performances for fellow artists. She looked after her "customers" like the best of mothers emanating a selfless care. I always looked forward to Nina’s visits, we always found a few moments to share something personal. And I always anticipated those moments with a kind of longing, the moment she inevitably would say something about “my sweetie” and everything about her relaxed and softened for a moment with a special little smile, before she picked up her professional self again. I always knew you had and were something special together, Sam. I am forever grateful to have known Nina. She taught me many things she didn’t even know she did.
ReplyDeleteI was told as a child that when we look up to the sky, the stars we see are openings where the ones who went before us shine down to let us know they are happy. Not too far-fetched to imagine Nina a star.
I've been out of the "art world" for eight years but to hear of Nina's passing, makes it feel like just a few weeks. As another rep, we always ran into each other and she was always so helpful to me. The last time I saw Nina, we had coffee at Whole Foods in Mill Valley around seven years ago. Nina was one of the most respected sales people in the industry. My heart goes out to her family and I look forward to catching up with old friends at her celebration of life. Nina will bring us all together.
ReplyDeleteI was surprised and saddened to hear the news. I'm so sorry.
ReplyDeleteShe hired me (fresh out of college) at Amsterdam Art; when she found out I was doing letterpress printing she drove me on our lunch break to meet Wesley Tanner, an eminent printer in Berkeley. She just decided I should meet him. I didn't ask, but I was grateful. I saw her last August for the first time in decades when I came for one of her wonderful Golden demos at Blick. She remembered me and said to write her any time with questions. I did not get to do this. That was the last time I saw her.
I did not know her very well or long, but she was truly a generous soul, an inspiration.
I am surprised and saddened to hear about Nina's passing. We worked together at Amsterdam Art in the early eighties. The place was growing by leaps and bounds and always on the edge of chaos. Nina kept us sane with her inimitable character and sense of humor. She taught me the phrase, "No flies on me" which applied to her more than anyone else I know. I will never forget her humor and kind spirit.
ReplyDeleteI posted this March 15th on our Amsterdam Art Ex-Employee group over on facebook, and Tony asked me to re-post it here:
ReplyDelete-Lois
Hey everyone. Old School AAers will all know Nina Deckert: Fine Art Manager, then Buyer, then Sales Rep, then Golden Acrylic Demo Expert. She hired most of us straight out of art/design/architecture school, or sometimes right off the sidewalk, and in doing so created the great mix that made the culture at Amsterdam so rich with creativity and fun. If you worked at Amsterdam long enough you probably formed a network of friendships that last to this day. You may have sold your first painting or branched out to start another business, or met a partner, got married and made beautiful babies. Nina had an eye for choosing just the right people, and we all know it was the people that made the job worth having.
Nina's enthusiasm for the materials we sold was bubbly and infectious, and her technical knowledge was boundless. She knew about printmaking, sculpture, pastel, watercolor, brushes and paper, and she encouraged us to learn everything we could about the materials we sold. She didn't want us to be cogs in a machine, she wanted the job to be meaningful to us, so we'd have respect for the materials we sold, each other, and ourselves. Nina made working at Amsterdam Art a class in materials most of us never got in school.
Nina died at her home Wednesday after a brief and intense battle with lymphoma. Her son Tom, her sister Ann, boyfriend Sam and other loved ones were with her. Sam has been writing a blog that that recorded the course of Nina's life while she was ill. He told me yesterday that there would be a service of some kind, and he will post to the blog with the details. I will also try to post the information here.
If you have any nice stories or memories that you can share with Nina's loved ones, they have asked you to post them in the comments on the blog.
Personally, Nina really took me under her wing after I left Amsterdam Art, guiding me to jobs, talking me up to prospective employers, and becoming a true and loyal friend. I can't even imagine what my life would look like had she not been in it.
If you have any nice stories or memories that you can share with Nina's loved ones, they have asked you to post them in the comments on the blog.
Personally, Nina really took me under her wing after I left Amsterdam Art, guiding me to jobs, talking me up to prospective employers, and becoming a true and loyal friend. I can't even imagine what my life would look like had she not been in it.